Happy Election Day to everyone in the US! I waited over an hour to vote last Friday (no complaints, glad to have the opportunity), and when I came home, B had an awesome new Italian recipe waiting for me to try. He got it from Gourmet Live, which I usually think of as having wonderful recipes but ones that take awhile to prepare. This is a super quick recipe that tastes amazing. B used low-fat mozzarella, and it still tasted great. Enjoy!
Polenta Pie with Cheese and Tomato Sauce (from Gourmet Live)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 to 18 ounce) ready made plain polenta roll (sold in plastic wrap)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (25 to 26 ounces) jar chunky tomato sauce
- ¼ pound mozzarella, coarsely shredded (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Oil a 9-inch pie plate or 4-cup gratin dish with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Cut polenta roll crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices and line pie plate with half of the slices, overlapping slices slightly to completely cover the bottom of pie plate.
- Stir 1 tablespoon basil into 1 ½ cups past sauce and spread over polenta, then sprinkle with half of mozzarella.
- Top with remaining half of polenta slices, then sprinkle with Parmigiano-Regggiano and remaining half of mozzarella.
- Bake until bubbling and golden, about 20 minutes. Heat extra sauce while pie cools. Serve with heated sauce for dipping. Yum!